Outcomes of percutaneous temporary biventricular mechanical support: a systematic review

Matthew P. Weber, Thomas J. O’Malley, Jae H. Choi, Elizabeth J. Maynes, Kyle W. Prochno, Melissa A. Austin, Chelsey T. Wood, Sinal Patel, Rohinton J. Morris, H. Todd Massey, Vakhtang Tchantchaleishvili*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review


Percutaneous biventricular assist devices (BiVAD) are a recently developed treatment option for severe cardiogenic shock. This systematic review sought to identify indications and outcomes of patients placed on percutaneous BiVAD support. An electronic search was performed to identify all appropriate studies utilizing a percutaneous BiVAD configuration. Fifteen studies comprising of 20 patients were identified. Individual patient survival and outcomes data were combined for statistical analysis. All 20 patients were supported with a microaxial LVAD, 12/20 (60%) of those patients were supported with a microaxial (RMA) right ventricular assist device (RVAD), and the remaining 8/20 (40%) patients were supported with a centrifugal extracorporeal RVAD (RCF). All patients presented with cardiogenic shock, and of these, 12/20 (60%) presented with a non-ischemic etiology vs 8/20 (40%) with ischemic disease. For the RMA group, RVAD support was significantly longer [RMA 5 (IQR 4–7) days vs RCF 1 (IQR 1–2) days, p = 0.03]. Intravascular hemolysis post-BiVAD occurred in three patients (27.3%) [RMA 3 (33.3%) vs RCF 0 (0%), p = 0.94]. Five patients received a durable left ventricular assist device, one patient received a total artificial heart, and one patient underwent a heart transplantation. Estimated 30-day mortality was 15.0%, and 78.6% were discharged alive. Both strategies for percutaneous BiVAD support appear to be viable options for severe cardiogenic shock.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)879-890
Number of pages12
JournalHeart Failure Reviews
Issue number3
StatePublished - May 2022
Externally publishedYes


  • Biventricular assist device
  • Biventricular heart failure
  • Centrifugal devices
  • Microaxial devices


Dive into the research topics of 'Outcomes of percutaneous temporary biventricular mechanical support: a systematic review'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this